A brief conversation I had on the bus ride this morning has got me thinking about how men and women use conversation differently. Here is what happened: I take a shuttle from the main UC Davis campus (in Davis) to the UC Davis Med Center campus (in Sacramento). It is usually crowded, and today, like many other days, I am squished in the back seat between these two guys. One man was on the shuttle when I got on, and the second one was behind me in line to get on the bus so he sat down after me. Today I had with me a travel coffee mug. (I usually bring a self-contained thermos, which I store in a bag, but I didn't today because I have to run to an appointment right after I get off of the bus this afternoon and I didn't want to carry it around; it is kind of heavy.) So I sit down and have this coffee mug in my hands kind of balanced on my knees. The man on my left (who had been sitting there) says to me "You didn't bring me any coffee this morning, or is that tea?" I kind of smiled, and said "No, it's coffee". That was the end of that exchange, and he goes about making his telephone calls and doing work stuff.
I was struck by the male-ness of that comment. I seriously doubt that a woman would have made that comment. I didn't know that man from Adam. (This is an expression my Mom says all the time!) He was older, maybe pushing 60. He wasn't particulary sleezy, but maybe a tad bit sleezy. And his tone wasn't suggestive, exactly, it was just odd enough that I did't like it, that I wasn't going to continue talking to this dude. I suspect he meant it as a joke, but it wasn't funny. I mean, what was I supposed to say?
So, we ride to Sacramento, and when we are pulling into the parking lot he says, "You didn't drink much of that coffee." I smile sheepishly again and say, "No, I'm gonna wait till I get to my desk." We get off the bus and go our separate ways. (I didn't disclose my real motivations for not drinking the coffee: 1) I was very hot from my walk to the shuttle bus (had to walk fast because I was running late as usual), and drinking hot coffee as sweat runs down my back is not appealing, 2) I'm not all that adept at drinking hot beverages on a small bus that bounces all over the place, 3) I didn't want the coffe until I really was at my desk, which is why I usually bring the thermos but didn't today because of the reason mentioned above, and 4) um, you are a strange man and I don't need to tell you anything.)
Are men aware of how they deliver these type of comments? I don't believe that this man on the bus would have said the same thing to another man who came and sat next to him on the shuttle. Would a woman have said that to me? Doubt it. Would I have said that to a woman? No, I wouldn't have said anything; a thought such as "oh, I love coffee" would have gone through my head, probably, but I wouldn't have said anything. Then I started to think about when people talk to each on the bus. It doesn't happen often. Sometimes people exchange greetings or random comments. Once or twice on a bus ride back in Boston on my beloved #39, an interesting coincidence would inititate a conversation with a woman next to me:
Her: "Oh, you're reading Bel Canto! I just finished that and thought
it was wonderful!"
Me: "Yeah, I like it a lot so far."
Her: "I thought it was terrific."
Me: Nod, smile and resume reading my book.
Her: Nod, smile, and resume reading her book.
I also recall talking about books with a few other women who randomly sat next me and had also been reading Gregory MacGuire or Susanna Clarke or whomever else I was reading. (I miss you, bookclub!) But, I don't remember ever talking to a man about anything on the bus.
Am I reading into this too much? It sounds like a project for that NU Linguistics class, similar to your elevator experiment, T.
Well, anyways, it made me think. That is a good thing for a Friday.
6.02.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I think it's an old person thing. When I worked at the library, old people (male and female) were always coming up and talking to me like they knew me. I think that they're just less self-conscious (you would be too, after a few colonoscopies).
As for talking on the bus, it's amazing what people say on the bus in Baltimore. Total strangers will get into long, loud conversations about being pregnant or having a boyfriend on probation. Funny you should mention that book comment - I read on the bus so that don't talk to me.
Would make for an interesting experiment, yes. Much like the elevator test, I find that men are definitely more likely to initiate conversation... even say completely off the wall things to get it started. And, yes, usually more sleazy than not.
I've had the notice-book-start-conversation experience on buses, and your post got me running through the several of them I've had recently. The women and young men who I've exchanged comments with about books etc. have generally seemed to realize that the conversation is meant to be short. But there was an old man on Saturday morning who kept wanting to talk. It wasn't a bus, but a DD, and I was killing time waiting to pick up my daughters so trying to get some class prep done.
Usually, if you make a short comment, and return to your book people get the hint. But not this guy. He told me he was a retired philosophy prof and continued to ask me about the book. Even when I said it was poetry, he didn't stop even though he clearly had no idea what the poem was about or even who the poet was (H.D. Trilogy). I eventually had to leave to get away and finished reading in my car because he wasn't letting me finish my work.
A bit off topic, but the old guy thing matches I guess. So, yeah, (old) guys are definitely different. I would never dream of making a second comment once someone had turned back to their book - to me that's a clear sign they don't want to talk! But for this guy, that didn't stop him at all.
And Marc, after three episiotomies, I'm afraid I'm still self conscious - maybe I'm just not old enough! :)
This guy was totally hitting on you. End of story. In his mind, he was Making Conversation.
...which says a lot.
xoxo sunny :)
I would have licked the entire rim of the mug, and then offered him some.. but that's just me.
Post a Comment