4.28.2006

Fight the Bite!


So, the West Nile Virus is a big deal out here. I see a lot of public-service promotion/announcements about the virus and ways to protect yourself from it. Davis even has decorative flags up and down the main streets with warnings about it. We got a flyer on the door this week, too. "West Nile Virus has arrived!" it tells us. There is a big push for the community to work together to prevent the spread of the virus: drain standing water, repair screens, avoid being out during dawn and dusk, report dead birds, wear long sleeves (despite sweltering heat?) use lots of deet.

Because this is such an agricultural area, it is a serious problem for horse owners. Apparently, horses are very susceptible to the virus, and owners have to get them vaccinated every few months. Squirrels and birds get the WNV frequently, too.

I never thought much about WNV before we moved here, but last evening when I sitting outside talking on the phone to my folks I did get bit at least four times, making it the last evening I'll sit outside without dousing myself in bug spray first. I guess it is one more natural disaster to add to the list: earthquakes, wildfires, floods, mudslides, mosquitoes. Good grief.


1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I wonder if all the WNV press near you is overkill? Be interesting to see how WNV rates stack up against other cities/states.

But yes, my... there's so much to worry about! It's a wonder we ever accomplish anything.