3.21.2006

New career


"California's community college system is open to nearly all comers. But it may get tougher for students to leave the colleges with a degree in hand.
"The Academic Senate for California Community Colleges last year recommended raising the minimum English and math requirements for the two-year associate degree, the only degree community colleges can award.
"The system's governing board won't vote on the proposal until September at the earliest. But the idea has already touched off vehement debate among faculty and counselors all over the state. ..

"Those who support more stringent requirements say current standards are so low that students aren't learning skills they need to carry out everyday tasks: choosing a membership plan at a gym or understanding the statistics in a newspaper article, for instance. ..
"Opponents of the change - most notably counselors, teachers of English learners, and vocational teachers - say tougher requirements would make it unreasonably difficult for struggling students to get a degree that could lead to higher wages...
"The Academic Senate's recommendation would beef up the statewide minimum requirements for the associate degree. Students would have to take the equivalent of intermediate algebra and freshman composition. Currently, the minimum standards for the degree are elementary algebra and an English course one level below freshman composition...

Hmmm...what to do about education problems. This article comes from the Sacramento Bee (3.21.06) regarding CA community colleges and the issue of raising standards in English and Math classes. There is part of me that automatically says "yes: standards should be higher! Students should be able to spell and write comprehensively!" And I think back on my own (meager) teaching experience and I recall the frustrations at students (more frequently the writing center clients) and wonder why they were never taught to spell and punctuate. Was my education so superior to their own? Are students not taught how to write anymore? I'm afraid of the voice in my head that responds positively to this question. What are we supposed to do about it? There are so many non-native English speakers out there now that the problem is getting out of control. There is part of me that believes it is not my problem: I know how to speak and write and use a colon. Then another side of me says that if I don't do something to help, then the situation will never improve. Maybe I will become a Super Teacher and save the world from this evil menace. Yes, that is the best solution I can come up with.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Duh dah da DAH da dum!

She corrects your dangling modifers. She cleans your colons and punctuates your sentences.

She's... SUPER TEACHER!!