12.01.2005

Why I love J.D. Salinger

If you haven't read Salinger's short stories, you are really missing out. Read them. Here is a short passage from one of my favorites (I can't decide which story is my ultimate favorite), "The Laughing Man":

"Once he started narrating, our interest never flagged. "The Laughing Man" was just the right story for a Commanche. It may even have had classic dimensions. It was a story that tended to sprawl all over the place, and yet it remained essentially portable. You could always take it home with you and reflect on it while sitting, say, in the outgoing water in the bathtub." (page 58 from the Nine Stories collection.)

2 comments:

Marc said...

Hey, Mollie! Just found your blog. I'm glad you're keeping up with Gloria's adventures.

I was just thinking of you the other day - I saw a t-shirt I thought you would appreciate.

Mollie said...

hah! I do like that shirt, but not the mice in the bathtub. Very strange.