I was at a fabulous outdoor wedding yesterday which had just moved onto the covered deck of the lodge we were at when the sky opened up and a deluge rained down. So I of course mention that I'd heard it was good luck for it to rain on your wedding day (unlike Alanis Morrisette's more dismal view of things).
Someone else then said it was good luck to have a pregnant woman at your wedding (there was one at this one). My wedding had neither, but then again, it didn't have much that was superfluous to the vows.
Do you know any other wedding supersitions?
8.22.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I have heard the one about raining before. When it poured down during a girlfriend's wedding, everybody was saying that kind of thing. Interestingly, the bride was pregnant at her own wedding, so maybe she got extra luck! There are lots of wedding good luck things, which I think come from outsiders thinking "it's gonna take a lot of luck for this pair to work..." One of my favorite Lucky superstitions is an Irish one, go figure. Most people know about the Blarney Stone,but to see it is quite different. It is adjacent to Blarney Castle--about eight floors up. To reach the stone to give it the famous kiss, you have to lay down on your back (so center of gravity is on cold, old stone) and then somebody working there kind of guides your upper body as you lay back and then your head is underneath the stone. It's not a very romantic kiss. But, if you do it, you are blessed with a lifetime of eloquence. Obviously, I made out with the Blarney Stone several years ago. One funny thing about this is the Irish think this is a lot of shite. I even heard some of them say that locals go up there at night and piss on the Blarney Stone! I wouldn't put it past them.
Post a Comment