8.06.2008

"I don't have to explain. It just works!"


Now that I am living the easy life, waiting for school to start back up again, I have plenty of time on my hands. I've indulged in one of my favorite timewasters: infomercials. I don't like all infomercials. I watch the Bare Minerals one every time I see it. But I LOVE the ones for exercise systems and dieting programs. It might be the testimonials by the "real" customers ("If I can do it so can anybody"), the undeniably great deals available only for the next six minutes (How many payments of $29.99 will they knock off? How many freebies will they throw in?), or the "comprehensive data and clinical research" that proves the validity of this product. Who knows what draws me to them. Sometimes they tempt me. I've even purchased one set of exercise videos--but not from the infomercial company. (I got a better deal on Amazon.)

Anyways...this morning as I ate my cereal, I flipped to an infomercial for a (miracle) weight loss program that promised

NO MORE…

* Crazy or Expensive Diets
* Starving or Depriving Yourself
* Popping Pills or Unsafe Procedures
* Strenuous Exercise

This program is based on (drum roll....) HYPNOSIS!

Amazing!

All you have to do is listen to the dude's tapes and the pounds will just fall off! The testimonials (with requisite grotesque BEFORE and svelte AFTER photos) are impressive: 40, 70, 100, 140 pounds lost!!!

According to the website, this program is so simple, "you won't need will power."

BECAUSE NOW YOU CAN “THINK & LOSE”!

* Eat the Food you Want
* Lose Cravings for rich and fattening foods
* Only takes a few relaxing minutes a day
* Easy and Automatic – No Will Power!
* Clinically Proven Approach

The good news continues: Free 30 day trial! Free MP3 Player with purchase!

Where is the telephone?

P.S. As I was searching in Google Images for a graphic to adorn this post, I couldn't resist reading about this use of hypnosis. I don't know what to say about it, but I had to share.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Your tolerance for infomercials clearly exceeds mine — I mostly refuse to watch under the pretense that I might do something rash.

(Like buy the product.)