This is from an essay that a student completed on the topic of how Odysseus is a hero. Below is one of the body paragraphs; the "we" he refers to is our class...
Odysseus also overcomes challenges. For example, he had to sail through the lotus eaters. Of coarse he succeeded because the story keeps on going on afterwards. The story didn't end at that page. No it went on even farther. In fact, we are still talking about the same story two months later. It is hard to be interested in something that is mythical.
I'm more amused by his passive aggressive frustration with "talking about the same story two months later" than with the textual inaccuracies (look at Odysseus sail right on through those nasty lotus eaters!). Maybe I should have expected it when I read the first line of the essay: "Heros are all different but the same."
At least this has broken up the monotony of grading essays!
2.23.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Love it!
I had a similar passive-aggressive student give his oral presentation on how stupid it was to have to write the previous paper! He objected to being required to finish it under a deadline... unfortunately, he didn't suggest an alternate way of getting the work done. Too bad - I could do without deadlines too!
Kids are dumb. If he thinks the Odyssey is boring, give him a taste of Jane Eyre; that'll settle his hash.
Guess what? Liz got a job in Garrett County! The exodus is on!
I'll be taking this down soon, so check it out:
HireLizNelson.com
Apparently for some, lotus eaters are nuthin' when you consider the challenge of writing an essay.
Post a Comment